Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thoughts: Away from home

Just only, I was glancing through facebook.. and being kaypoh, I went to view & read some of my friends' profiles.. And something struck me.. If one had to leave his/her hometown just to work in other foreign country for a better prospect (and this means being away from family & friends in hometown etc), I wonder how's the feeling like..

Definitely if one were to have a choice, I guess most people wouldn't choose to leave their hometown to go to some other foreign country to stay for a period of time (in a sense, years). But what if one had no choice but to leave their hometown for a better work prospect in some other countries... Now in my heart, I realized that I'm so fortunate, that I'm living in Sg and the work prospect is considered relatively good in general.. But what about those people who are left with no choice but to be separated from their family and friends in their hometown, to work and live and fend for themselves, to be independent, living & working in a foreign country..?

Seriously, I'm sure whoever it is, even the coldest or most unfeeling person on earth, when required to leave his/her close family & people around him to live in a foreign country.. somehow or another, he/she will feel sad and dread the day.. The feeling of loneliness, the feeling of separation and the need for support & encouragement from friends might not kick in straight away.. but the feeling might just accumulate bit by bit, and sooner than you know, the wish, the hope and the yearning to go back to hometown just settle down and it'll become so strong that it becomes a 'must' to go home (or the heart and mind won't be able to settle down and be at ease).. I never experienced this before, so everything mentioned are simply based on my impression..

But I'm very concerned about this.. for I've friends whom I think are in this predicament.. Though they didn't really say it out verbally, but some things simply required no words for it to be understood.. Just by pure observation, everything will be revealed.. I can understand that being in a foreign land, one will need utmost support from friends or people who also came from their hometown, to show and provide encouragement, to spur one another to not give up halfway.. Definitely, if it's possible for locals in the foreign land to show support and to help them too, I'd say it'd be even better.. The more support, the more encouragement and concern shown to them, the greater will be their perseverance level to continue on in the foreign land to accomplish whatever aim that has been set before coming over.. Nobody likes to give up halfway..

This topic came across to me as I really feel like helping (or at least show some support) to my friends if they really are feeling this way, or having this predicament.. But I don't know how to go about it.. This I feel might be quite a sensitive topic.. for it'll show the vulnerability of the individual (but in the 1st place, who ain't vulnerable.. all humans are vulnerable.. I'm also very vulnerable to things around me..)

But if really I had to face this predicament, the 1st thing that will come to my mind is fear. Fear of everything.. Fear of being alone, fear of new environment, fear of a different working style, fear of losing valuables (such as passport), fear of making new friends etc etc..The thought of it simply gives me goosebumps..

Life is just so complicated.. and complex..
May God provide strength and be with you at all times..
Do seek him more..

God bless.

No comments: